Wednesday, May 16, 2007

It's Not the Baby Crying



I have just come to the realization that it's not the baby crying that annoys me. I'll explain.


While Wendy was running errands, I was tending our 2 1/2 month old Reese. She is our third child, and let me think......yeah, our 3rd child with COLIC. Colic defined:


"Colic is uncontrollable, extended crying in a baby who is otherwise healthy and well-fed. Every baby cries, but babies who cry for more than three hours a day, three to four days a week, may have colic. About 20% of babies get colic, and it equally affects boys and girls, first-born children and those born later. In general, it appears at around two to four weeks of age and can last for three months, or longer in some cases."


So, we have had our share of experience with crying babies - nothing new here. And today, while I was watching Reese, she began crying. I immediately began cycling through my mental laundry list of "Things to do to stop my baby from crying."



  1. Hold her.

  2. Walk aimlessly around the house with her.

  3. Shake her (that's a joke in case any of you are a members of the PC police, Al Sharpton's National Action Network, or the Child Protection Services).

  4. Place her on my hip at a 37.25 degree angle while keeping her arms bent at the exact same 37.25 degree angle.

  5. Sing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."

  6. Hand her off to Wendy.

  7. Bounce her in the bouncey seat.

  8. Change her diaper.

After making all of these failed attempts, excluding #6 as it was not an option (although it IS my favorite much of the time), I began to buckle down and look for something new and creative. There was an empty water bottle within arm's reach. I grabbed it, I squished it, I rolled it, and I crinkled it. Doing this made a really, REALLY, annoying noise. In fact, a noise second only to the sound of the vacuum on the scale of "noisy annoyingness." But, IT WORKED! I did it for at least 10 minutes straight. By the time I was done, the water bottle was so hashed up it was recycle ready. Al Gore would be so proud.


I started thinking about the noise the bottle was making and realized that in any other circumstance, that noise would have driven me nuts. But, in this case, it didn't bother me. It was actually kind of fun watching Reese's reactions to the different types of noises. Then, I thought about the vacuum, and how I don't mind the vacuum when it is running to keep the baby from crying (a trick we have used since our first child).


So, I came to the following conclusion: It's not the noise that bothers me, it's the cause of the noise. I don't like the idea that our little baby may be in some sort of discomfort. Of course all bets are off when she is crying during the NBA Playoffs!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it would be more acurate if "Handing her off to Wendy" was #1 on your list!

Anonymous said...

speaking of the NBA Playoffs what do you think of the JAZZ! It was a little hard to know who to cheer when they were playing Houston. But back to baby Reese, give her a warm bath - it works everytime with Alexa...might be kind of a long bath, like the whole time Wendy's gone! I also like the pediatrician's idea - go out back and sit on the patio and have a glass of wine!! (grape juice, coke, and chocolate!) God is teaching you patience...kind of scary!! Reese also might need her grandma!

Anonymous said...

Feeding her wasn't on your list, but I am sure you tried that too. Sometimes there is nothing you can do. I remember when Hailey had colic and she would cry for 2 hours straight. By the second hour after trying everything imaginable, I just cried with her because I felt so sad and discouraged. It actually made me feel better. I don't see you crying with her, but another option is getting out the huge exercise ball. Many people told me that bouncing on this with the your baby will calm her right down. I tried it with Hailey and it worked wonders. By the way, your little Reese is darling and she has grown so much.

Anonymous said...

Give her 5 tablespoons of Nyquil cold medicine...It never fails.

Anonymous said...

I like Matt's idea, but if that doesn't work you can just drink the Nyquil yourself or something a little stronger.

Anonymous said...

Katie, you're right... She does like the exercise ball. The only thing is then Jared & Rowan want to bounce on it too. My pediatrician told me to try acidophylus. It's the good bacteria that's good for your digestion. I don't really notice a difference though.

Anonymous said...

Ben, I think you should post an audio clip so whenever we're reading your blog we can all hear Reese in the backround. :)
Even though it's sad to see her cry, I can testify that it is one of the cutest cries I've ever heard. She makes the funniest noises.

Anonymous said...

I Can't believe it! Right before my eyes, I'm watching my Son turn into a stay at home Dad. Wendy and Heidi have been secretly collaberating. they gave up on Kamron and now they've honed in on Ben. Oh the humanity...

Anonymous said...

Shhhh.. Don't tell anyone!

Laura said...

Hi Ben and Wendy I am a little slow in getting this posted, so sorry. The Dr. that I work with feels that alot of what is presumed to be colic is actually acid reflux in infants. One thing that I will have my parents try is 1/4 tsp of maalox or mylanta about 1 hr after feeding. If this improves the fussiness or colic I then put the babies on prescription Zantac which really seems to help. Try this and let me know. They usually outgrow the reflux by about 6 months. Good Luck!

muppet said...

I was wondering if you've read "Happiest Baby on the Block" it's by a pediatrician who has a few other things to try on a crying "colicky" baby. It works on my little wailer! The magic formula are the 5 S's - Swinging, Side/Stomach position, Shushing (or white noise, like a vacuum cleaner), Swaddling, and sucking (pacifiers or the breast). It couldn't hurt to try! :) It's gotta be done 'just right' but when you get it -- it's magic.