Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Four Foot Hole

I bought a new basketball hoop for my driveway. It is called a GOALRILLA, and the name suffices considering its size and weight. It has a six-inch square pole and a 60 inch glass backboard. It is heavy and huge. Frankly, I hope the neighbors don't turn me into the HOA.


Anyhow, because of its size and weight, the manufacturer calls for a FOUR FOOT HOLE when installing the hoop. Have you ever had to dig a four foot hole in Texas clay? Not I. But, I thought to myself, "Man, four feet is deep, but it shouldn't be too bad if I knock two feet out the first day, then two feet the next." So, I went out to the garage and discovered that I did not have shovel. Off to Lowe's we go. All of us - pre-Reese - made a Lowe's run - "No dad, not Lowe's again! I hate when we go to Lowe's."

While at Lowe's we found the shovel section. I can't believe how many different shovels they have. I was honed in on all the different options of shovels. I was in this man-trance when Wendy tried to distract me with a lame post hole digger. I then began to explain to her that anyone who knows anything about digging would NOT use a post hole digger for this project. I bought the shovel of my choice and took it home.

It didn't take long to realize that digging holes BLOWS! I got the hole to about 18 inches when the soil became extra dense and difficult. I was done for the night. Three days later...

Joyce, my mother-in-law, suggested that I hire someone to finish the project. I think she was tired of looking at the pile of red mud on the lawn. Not to mention, the red mud in the kids' clothes from playing on the pile of red mud on the lawn. Wanting to make sure she knew that her daughter was in the good hands of a man - the kind of man that can dig holes all day if need be - I told her that I would knock it out when I get back into town in a week. Seven days later...

Did you know that there are companies that do nothing but put basketball hoops up in driveways! All it takes is $350. Yep, and guess what they use to dig the holes with - a post hole digger.


13 comments:

Marissa said...

haha.. you Jensen boys are all the same..I can see Steve doing the same thing. I love hte blog thing. I really think we should do the family website thing too. If you want to check out my family's website you can. My username is marissajensen1984 and my password is family. It's pretty cool and they are changing the whole interface in April so it will look better. However, I like the blog thing. As for hte TV...Steve can tell you I am not a fan of it. We ahve it here bc it comes with our HOA, but when we move we don't really see the point of purchasing something we rarely use and I would rather watch a movie if I'm going to watch anything..

Marissa said...

haha.. you Jensen boys are all the same..I can see Steve doing the same thing. I love hte blog thing. I really think we should do the family website thing too. If you want to check out my family's website you can. My username is marissajensen1984 and my password is family. It's pretty cool and they are changing the whole interface in April so it will look better. However, I like the blog thing. As for hte TV...Steve can tell you I am not a fan of it. We ahve it here bc it comes with our HOA, but when we move we don't really see the point of purchasing something we rarely use and I would rather watch a movie if I'm going to watch anything..

Anonymous said...

I tried so hard to not say "I told you so", but it was too tempting! I'm just glad you gave me the credit! See, you need to listen to me more often. I am so glad you decided to hire someone, so we can actually shoot on the goal than use it for a step to get into my car!

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting for an invite to come play Horse with you and Jared.
And, Ben, did you know that I love White Lightnig! :)

Anonymous said...

Wendy, If Ben said he dug 18 inches, you can pretty well bet it was only 6 inches. He has always been prone to exaggerate when it comes to length.

Steve said...

Who's the chicken who's trying to hide their identity?

Ben said...

Good question, Steve! I would like to know who outed me on the lying about length trick!

Anonymous said...

you fold clothes, fix meals, stay up late with the baby, change diapers, give kids their baths, play with your kids, read them scriptures, love Wendy and even buy flowers for your mother-in-law....who cares about digging holes!!

Anonymous said...

Just in case anyone is wondering. UFC Fight Night is on.

Anonymous said...

That was pretty good. My bet is that came from Marissa :)

Laura said...

Whats with all the digging of holes? We picked up a backboard at Sam's club with a base and wheels which makes it portable and the best part, NO HOLES.

Natalie Day said...

Crazy, here I am trying to save some time and my back for tomorrows 4 foot dig for the same hoop and I run into an LDS family from Texas. What are the odds of that?

Mike, Natalie Day and kids from Boise, ID via WA, UT, MI.

Small World when your LDS, also noticed UFC reference, every month we have a special "fellowshipping" meeting at my house. If your ever in Boise look us up. cmday007@gmail.com

Ben said...

Wow...that is crazy. How did you find the posting? Google search?