Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Road

Occassionally, I like to read fiction. Most often, it is a classic. Something I read in college or something that I wanted to read in college, but didn't have the time. However, this year's Pulitzer Prize winning fiction, The Road, is an instant classic. It is one of the best books I have ever read. It is about a man and his son in a "post-apocalytic" type of world, a world void of almost every convenience we now have. Food is scarce and so are the people. Not only is it creatively written, it is perfectly framed. While descriptive as a whole, it is vague enough to allow the reader's imagination to kick in. Most of all, it is very real. The author (Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses) does not try to over-embellish the way most authors do these days. If you want to read picture perfect fiction, this is it. I highly recommend it.

The novel describes itself as:

"A father and his son walk alone through burned America. Nothing moves in the ravaged landscape save the ash on the wind. It is cold enough to crack stones, and when the snow falls it is gray. The sky is dark. Their destination is the coast, although they don't know what, if anything, awaits them there. They have nothing; just a pistol to defend themselves against the lawless bands that stalk the road, the clothes they are wearing, a cart of scavenged food -- and each other."

Here is an exerpt, and while reading it, think of yourself in a world where survival is the main concern. No electricity, cars, or jobs. Just trying to live day-to-day:

"No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes. So, he whispered to the sleeping boy. I have you."

Go get it!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

It kind of sounds scary. I don't like thinking about that kind of stuff, I think it will just make me more paranoid than I already am. What do you think? Does it have any romance involved? :)

Anonymous said...

They'll probably make a movie. Maybe I'll wait for that. I can't even find time to read the mail lately.

Laura said...

I agree with Wendy it does sound kind of depressing. I will have to get it for Dave though, he loves to read and it sounds like something he would like. I don't imagine it has a happy ending. Like Wendy it takes me months to make it through a novel these days.

Laura said...

Oh Happy Birthday to my big sis Marla!!! love you

Anonymous said...

I don't know Ben...I'm sensing a hint of plagerism in this book. It sounds an awful lot like the Matrix.

McKenzie Larson said...

That book was discussed on Oprah...it's her new book club selection. She's going to have the author on her show sometime to discuss, FYI. I'll have to read it after I finish this one Steve gave me (yes, Steve, I am actually finally reading it...I've gotten to page 15!!!Ha Ha)

Anonymous said...

I'm reading "Flags of our Fathers" right now. I'm about 2/3 of the way through. I need to find a book that is hard for me to put down...

Ben said...

It is not scary at all. And it is nothing like the Matrix, not even close. It is a totally realistic storyline. It doesn't read like a typical narrative prose. It is super creative but simple at the same time. The ending is sort of happy...Kenz, what book are you reading?

McKenzie Larson said...

It's The University of Success...Steve said it changed his life. It's really good so far, I just wish I had more time...Today I called Direct TV and had our service turned off! Now I should have time.

Anonymous said...

Kind of sounds like living in Phoenix

McKenzie Larson said...

Dad. what do you mean? I don't get it??

Anonymous said...

I've decided that I'm going to cut off our Dish Network...It's taking too much of our valuable time that could be used for spiritual growth and strengthening the family. I just have to wait until our 3 year contract is fulfilled.

McKenzie Larson said...

actually Matt, you can "suspend" your service like I did, just for a few months while it's nice outside. So, if you really do want to spend more time reading scriptures, meditating, doing service projects, teaching your children to walk in avenues of truth and righteousness, exercising, etc etc etc....it is a possibility. Ha ha, guess your 3 year contract won't be affected after all.

Anonymous said...

Blasted!! Well McKenzie, I've decided to keep my dish hooked up because I can't live without my BYUTV. Anybody that doesn't support the church's network is clearly a sinner.

McKenzie Larson said...

point well taken. The real reason we cut our TV off is because I was getting lazy. It was too easy to get sucked into a show and ignore my domestic duties.

Anonymous said...

Have you been sticking to BFL? Are you seeing any results? I started a little over a week ago, and I've lost about 13 lbs so far.

McKenzie Larson said...

I'm starting Monday (-:
I do good Mon-Thurs., but then on the weekends I usually blow it. I need to get more focused. I can't believe you've already lost 13 pounds! You must really want that truck.