Friday, August 17, 2007

Key Search

I am big on keeping things in the same place as to avoid looking for them ALL THE TIME. For example, I always keep my wallet and keys together, and they are almost always in one of two places - downstairs on our car key rack or upstairs in my closet next to the valet my Grandpa made.

A quick side note: I would put them INSIDE the valet, but Jared, upon seeing that I keep loose change in one of the compartments, decided to empty his entire piggy bank into my valet. So, now my entire valet is full of coins. He said he doesn’t need the money so I can have it.

I have also designated certain pockets for certain items. My left pocket is for my cell phone and my right pocket is for my wallet and keys. I just like to have as much routine as possible and it works for me – That is, until my kids get involved. Then, who knows where my stuff ends up??

Well, this morning, I was heading out the door for work, and I couldn’t find my keys. I knew they weren’t upstairs, because I had just been up there. I checked the key rack and they weren’t there either. I checked my right pocket – no keys. Wendy was still upstairs, so I asked her if my keys were up there. Nope. So, Wendy, Jared, Reese (she had no choice as Wendy was holding her), and I spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out where my keys were, all the while accusing Rowan (he was upstairs watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and didn’t care one bit about my keys). We looked everywhere and could not find them.

Then, I decided to start the search over. I checked my right pocket, no keys. Then, I haphazardly checked my left pocket, all the while wondering why I was even wasting my time with the left pocket. I never put my keys in the left pocket - ALMOST NEVER. But, now I had to face my family with a dunce cap. We got a pretty good laugh out of it. I’m just glad I didn’t accuse Wendy of misplacing my keys – she would have had a field day!

5 comments:

Ammon said...

Amen to that! Ammon is always accusing me of misplacing things and we'll find them later... right where HE left them!!!

Marissa said...

Steve typically accuses me of moving things, but I have to admit I do move them. His hat is put back on the hat rack as soon as he takes it off and if he wants to use the same cup twice..not a chance it is already in the dishwasher. But he is learning to deal with it, until on the rare occasion I sware I did not move it only to discover I did.

Anonymous said...

That reminds me. Ben bought a brush with a long handle on it to wash his back in the shower. The kids thought it was cool and were playing with it. Well in the morning we couldn't find it. I asked Rowan where it was, and I described it to him, and he said "Oh, I know where it is" and went downstairs. He came back upstairs with a paint brush and said, "here you go Dad". It was pretty funny. Where did you find that anyway, Ben?

Ben said...

Jared found it. He said it was in the play room under the table.

Anonymous said...

That is so funny. Jared is so cute... Maybe if Jared get money from the tooth fairy tonight he will donate it to your valet.