Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Family Planning


I read a great article in latest issue of LDS Living magazine. I was by the popular LDS author Marrilee Boyack.

She starts the article off with:



Few parents of my acquaintance have an actual overall plan for raising
their children. They have a vague idea that they will feed and clothe their
children and watch them until they grow big enough that the government says it’s
legal to send them out on their own. Perhaps somewhere along the line they might
teach them a thing or two. But most parents simply approach parenting on a
day-to-day basis...

To begin with The Plan, you need to start with the end in mind. Think back
for a moment to when you first left home, perhaps for college or a mission or a
job and apartment. When you moved out, what did you not know how to do? What
came as a surprise to you? I can remember several things: I had never had a
checking account, never taken care of a car, never made my own doctor’s
appointments, and on and on. Spend a few minutes and come up with a list of
things that you suddenly had to scramble to learn how to do.

It got me thinking about all the stuff I want my kids to know - IT MADE MY HEAD SPIN! And, there are some things that we all need to learn through experience. But, that still leaves ALOT of stuff that Wendy and I need to teach them. And, we can't just "run it by them" and hope they pick up on it. We have to be able teach them in a way that has impact. To me, that is the key - can we teach them how to do certain things in a way they will remember?

What types of things do you hope to teach your kids before they leave home? Things like creating a budget, opening and using a checking accout, managing a credit card properly, etc.

Click HERE for the full article.

2 comments:

Kaitlan said...

It is something to think about. I know that I am going to teach my children about how to properly manage money. I never was taught how to budget and plan for the future. I really didn't know anything about money until I met Nate. He has definitely set me straight. I just read an article that said if a child or teenager has a job and has to file a W2 than you should really consider starting a roth IRA fund. Wish I would have known about this. The earlier the better.

Heidi said...

Great article!
But, I agree that the best way to learn something is by experience. With that comes failures and that might be hard to let your kids do.
I remember when Wendy and I had our first checking account and my Mom had to bail me out of some over draft fees. Also, when I was in junior high I signed up for that CD club where they send you the CD's every month. I remember Mom chewing someone out on the phone (b/c of my age) and then I still got to keep the CD's. Anyways, I think what I learned best by my parents was through example. I hope I can be a good example for my kids and always be open about all topics.