Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

To all the mothers who read this blog...HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! I know, I am kissing your little booties (notice how I said "little" booties), but you deserve it.

From my mom, whose advice from over 15 years ago still echoes in my head, to those of you who I don't even know - YOU ARE THE DIFFERENCE MAKERS.

I see it everyday in my own home. Wendy spends everyday doing her best to mold our kids into the best people. I thought of this yesterday while Wendy was telling me about her parent teacher conference with Jared's kindergarten teacher. Jared's teacher raved about Jared's behavior:

  • He is friends with all his classmates.
  • He is a leader in the classroom.
  • He always listens to her.
  • He has received a sticker (an indication of good behavior) everyday this year, which is very rare.
  • He works hard on his school work.

While we are proud of Jared for this, I am just as proud of Wendy. Jared's success is a result of Wendy's hard work. She invests her time and energy into making sure Jared knows how to treat others and how to treat his own life.

The same is true when I watch Rowan treat Reese with care and love. The boys treat their little sister with love and respect.

Consequently, all of this is a tribute to Joyce, who raised Wendy in a way that enabled her to raise our kids the way she does.

There are bad moms out there - fortunately, I have been surrounded by great moms.

To my mom - I am not in prison (yet), I still have a job, and my kids don't have tatoos. Great work!

To my grandma - I think about you everyday. You are a huge example to me and one of the reasons I am not in prison.

To Wendy - (see your Mother's Day card)

6 comments:

harold said...

Ben,
you are a very kind and thoughtful son-in-law. The tribute you wrote is exactly correct.I am so very grateful for my daughters choice in husbands,each one seems to be perfect,or at least able to say sorry for mistaken moments.I have grown to believe perfection is a goal we all should strive for,but can only be gained by many requests for forgiveness of our mistakes. It truely is a very nice surprise in live to learn so very much,on so many levels from your children. Joyce has said I am as proud as a peacock of my grandchildren and children and I confess to excess to this.My mother and grandmothers were also the source of love and inspiration in my life,I think of them often with gratitude for their life long dedication to us and it seems Thank You is so incomplete to describe my feelings to Mothers. God really got that part of life A GRAND SLAM.
My love and devotion will forever go to Mothers.
Thanks Ben.

Anonymous said...

This was so nice Ben! Very nicely put. I would have to agree... you have a wonderful wife, mom and mother-in-law and I am so thankful that I had a chance to get to know all three of them. Happy early Mother's Day Wendy!

Kaitlan said...

Great post Ben! We haven't seen each other in a long time and you are still the same as the last time I saw you, thoughtful and kind. You have a wonderful wife and she has a wonderful husband. Hope you all have a great Mother's Day!

Colette said...

Ben, Thank you for the kind words. Tell Jared I am very proud of him and miss him and all of you everyday and can't wait to "play" with him this summer. I too, am grateful for Wendy and the wonderful mother she is to our Grandkids. Also, thanks for the cute card and picture. Got my groove on to "We are Family". I love you all and thank my lucky stars I'm your Mom, (and Grandma)

Joyce-Mom-Grandma said...

Ben, I was very touched when I read your blog and tribute to Wendy. It's a great blessing to a mom to have a son-in-law recognize the importance of his wife and to know how special she is. Wendy is the light of my life, as all my children are and it has grown to include all my wonderful sons-in-laws and my dear daughter-in-law. What a great blessing to have this love in our family. You and Wendy are doing a wonderful job of raising your family...I could not be more proud.

Heidi said...

Ben, that was sweet.
I have to agree that we have great examples in our lives.