Friday, June 8, 2007

TPC at the Canyons


Today I went golfing with some business contacts. We played at the TPC Canyons course. It is a PGA level course (a course where professionals play) with lots of hazards and tough greens. The fairways were so nice, it was like walking on grassy sponges.

Here's how my day of golf started.

I began the day dressed in jeans, a button up shirt, a sports jacket, and dress shoes. I went downstairs and got a smoothie for breakfast. I then headed over to the Las Vegas convention center for a convention. At this point, it was about 10 am.

Our tee time was set for 1:30, so I had plenty of time to walk the convention and meet with different business contacts. After an hour of doing that, I met with the guys with whom I would be golfing. I come to find out that they wanted to head for the course at about 11:30. This didn't leave me anytime to get back to my room.

So, we headed off for a 5 star course and I was dressed in business casual attire. When we got to the pro shop, I had to improvise. I bought a pair of black Adidas golf shorts ($60) that I will most likely never wear again, a pair of black socks ($7), and I was able to borrow a white golf shirt from one of the guys in my golfing group. So, on the first tee box, I was wearing brown dress shoes with black socks, black shorts, and a white shirt.

And, that ensemble pretty much symbolized the way I played. But, it was a lot of fun, and the weather was perfect. Our round of golf ended up being a round of "heckle" golf. We distracted each other as much as possible, including hitting chunks of grass at the person during their back swing. At times, we were laughing so hard, we couldn't swing the club. One person made a comment about my shoes, saying, "I like how you came to this course in your Mister Rogers shoes." I was laughing for awhile from that one.

(The first photo is the par 3 2nd hole. Thank goodness I hit the green. No room for error. The 2nd photo is the par 4 14th hole. You have to hit over that huge gorge, and the fairway lines the gorge. I played it semi safe and avoided the gorge.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha.. I wish you had a picture of your outfit!

Anonymous said...

When Ben got home I asked what shoes he wore. They were his sketchers brown bowling type shoes! That makes the image even more funny to me.:)