Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Watch Out LeBron James!

Man, Lebron James is coming on strong! He is proving to be a great clutch player and a great leader. I like his poise on and off the court. Plus, he has the best commercials out there. He still has some work to do on his 18 - 23 foot jumper, but he seems to hit it when they need it.

Speaking of shooting, about a year and a half ago I taught Jared the proper way to shoot a basketball. Being so young, he picked it up quickly. I want all my kids to have a strong understanding of the result of hard work and practice. Not just in sports, but in school, music, and spiritual matters.

Since my kids are so young, I feel it is important to start this lesson of skill development in a fun way. So, instead of just goofing around while playing basketball, we have shooting sessions. We keep track of Jared's shot attempts and his made shots. I then thought it would be fun to make a chart. This way he can watch his progress. He has something he can see and get excited about. He is a competitive person, so it is fun for him to see the charts.

So, everyday, we go out in the driveway and shoot 5o shots. I keep track of his stats and we do it in bunches of 10. He is shooting with a junior sized ball (just a tidbit smaller than a women's ball. It's not a mini ball.), and the basket is set a 8 1/2 feet. He is usually shooting from within 7 feet.

Here is a look at this week so far:








Just click on the chart to make it bigger. Jared chose the colors.

More to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is the way Tiger got started. Keep it going! It would be fun to have a grandson in the NBA

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Jared will be in the NBA and Rowan will be in the guiness book for the loudest burp!